Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Preparation

My last post was before Halloween!  I think it is safe to say that we have been SUPER busy!

Too busy.  This past Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent which is a time of preparation before Christmas.  It is a time to reflect and prepare for the greatest birth.  Our priest made a good point about Advent… it really is necessary!  We get so consumed with the materialism of the Holidays that we all of the sudden wake up and it is Christmas morning and we aren't even ready!  It is really a time to slow down from all of the Christmas parties, shopping, traveling, concerts, events, family etc. and focus on the true meaning.  That is my goal this year.  
I find myself teetering between over excitement and slight depression this time of year.  Over excitement because I LOVE Christmas but depression because I feel rushed, I eat too much, and spend too much money :(  I am vowing to NOT do that this year - I am going to try to take it easy and just enjoy this special time but I had to do just one thing first...

First I had to do this!  This time of year we suddenly realize that there are so many who can't be with their families and friends.  Mostly, people who serve this great country!  I was given a wonderful opportunity to do something nice for those troops :)  I hosted a little soiree at my house to make handmade holiday cards to send to them!  It was AMAZING!  I had a great turn out and was in complete awe with how creative some of these ladies were! We made over 100 cards and if they aren't the best ones then I don't think I would believe it!  I mean, we are talking PROFESSIONAL!  Lol!!  I was so touched by everyone's effort - it is hard to leave your husband and kids and spend a night crafting and indulging in wine but everyone did it!  I am so excited to get them in the mail today :)

Then, I will relax.  I swear.


What have we been doing up until now?

Halloween -
This was the first year that Bailey really understood it and she LOVED it!  Prior to Halloween, we began asking Bailey what she wanted to dress up as and she adamantly requested a turtle.  I of course over-extended myself by constructing her costume myself out of paper mache but I think it was perfect!  I was so pumped that night that I failed to really get a good picture :( That is the sign of a good time when you have no proof it even happened!  Anyhow, she was a pro at trick-or-treating and came home with a lot of loot!

Following Halloween, Christian left for Asia.  So Bailey and I were on our own for 2.5 weeks. We skyped everyday with Christian and baked a lot… When Christian is gone, I pretty much live like a bachelorette.  I skip breakfast, graze for lunch, and eat popcorn and bake cookies for dinner.  Yeah, it's pathetic.  I just can't make sense out of cooking for myself and a 3 year old!  I did go out and buy Bailey some board games and she really liked that - even though she has no clue what to do…

While my love was roaming through Asia I was busy with projects and play dates.  I finally painted Bailey's room and still need a few little things but it is mostly done!  Ahhhh!  I also hosted my first play date at my house and that was a success!  I had the kids make headdresses and just play - it was great, but like everything, a lot of work!  

As soon as Christian returned my dad came to visit.  It was the first time he has come here so I was really excited!  Having my two favorite men arrive back to back was the BEST!  I really wanted my dad to see our house decorated for the holidays so I went ahead and put my tree up… on November 11… yeah, I know… crazy.  I really LOVE Christmas!  Christian says I turn into something different this time of year - sometimes, we debate if I am actually an elf… that would explain my height…
I play Christmas music all day and the only lights on in the house are Christmas lights!  I love that soft glow :)

After my dad left, Christian had the week off and we had our own little intimate Thanksgiving.  After traveling home last year for Thanksgiving AND Christmas, we decided to alternate every year.  That was too much… So this year we did our own Thanksgiving and are going home for Christmas :)

We have already gotten snow here and the nights are in the single digits… we are officially in the battle of dry skin!  I swear, last winter my skin was so dry… I have come prepared this year!  I plan to take Eucerin baths everyday!!  But some things will stay the same as last winter - our dreaded driveway!  
I swear, it's going to be the death of me.  We loved this house because it seemed so stately with this long, winding, uphill drive… well, the people who sold it to us I am sure were thinking,  "SUCKERS!"  It is a pain when it snows… it gets no sun so snow just sits there!!!  
Just when you think you are going to make it up - you hit this one point in the middle where you can't go!  Then it's a battle - last week, I lost that battle and rolled backwards down the hill!  As if I was not panicking enough, Bailey is in the backseat saying, "What's wrong with your car mama?"  Too funny!   We survived but we had to walk up and I spent a good hour shoveling snow and spreading ice melt :(  I swear, I have really not found many jobs that I cannot do… My resume should look baller!!!

So now, here we are in December!!!  I can't believe it!  We are rehearsing Bailey everyday on Santa (and of course Jesus)… and Christian and I are working on her present :)  She really wanted a power wheel but I dislike all the color schemes… I mean, Barbie?  Hello Kitty?  Ugh.  So we got her an awesome Jeep Hurricane and have taken it apart and are customizing it… it's gonna be sweet!  This will be Bailey's first lesson on originality…  I admit, I was not sold at first but Christian convinced me that it would be super cool - he was right!  

That is all for now - remember, take time to relax this season and reflect on the wonder of it all :)  It truly is special ~

xoxo


Decorating Halloween Cookies with her BFF

C and I went to the Iowa game - overtime!

Freezing 



Farmers Market

Life size checkers!

Treat :)

She asked the balloon guy to make a turtle


my paper mache shell

final product!


Crafting :)

stopped by our neighbors house first 


favorite part :)

how she slept that night, with her book and all… 

eating cookie dough!

girls night in!


SNOW!


HUGE buck!

Play date adult snacks :)

kids...

Play Date craft!



Painted Bailey's room 

still need something over her bed...

in love with these vintage barbie watercolors

Reading with Papa

My dad and Monk really like each other!





trying to get a group shot… nope!
but she'll stand solo!
it even snowed here a little while my dad visited!
Obligatory tree pic :)
winter wonderland
walk of shame after spinning out!

first snowman!
Thanksgiving
my little artist
jeep


ready for paint!
first coat
First Sunday of Advent
Watching movies with Daddy
Card making event!!!

the next morning…
All the cards!!!!