Friday, January 10, 2014

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Aside from losing our dear Rottie Monk - Christmas 2013 was FANTASTIC!

Santa actually came to Cedar Rapids on the 19th… Bailey loved her Jeep but I will admit, she was a little overwhelmed… It is growing on her though :)  Here is a video… We all sound so groggy… it was early...

Last year we flew home for BOTH Thanksgiving and Christmas and between snow, cancelled flights, and Bailey falling down the escalator  - we decided to only go home every other holiday from here on out… and to DRIVE :)  Yes, it is 16 hours but we found a way to break it up and make the most of it :0

I mean, midwestern winter weather could not be more unpredictable.  Of course the day we were planning to leave, a huge snowstorm was headed to Iowa and expecting to dump 8 inches.  Luckily, we left ahead of it but we literally drove with that entire moisture system all the way to North Carolina.
What I mean is, it RAINED, SLEETED, and ICED the ENTIRE drive.  We still made the right decision though because they cancelled over 1300 flights that day!

Christian had planned the logistics of the trip - we would drive 8 hours a day divided into 2 4-hour sections.  We would leave CR on Saturday am and drive for 4 hours before stopping for lunch.
We both decided we would not to rush and just get out of the car and move around.  We stopped halfway somewhere in Illinois and it was nice except for the torrential downpour.  Then we got back in the car for the second 4 hours before pulling over for the night.

We made it to our halfway point which was Louisville, Kentucky.  It was really nice!  We went out to dinner, walked around, and headed back to the hotel.  By the time we got to the hotel, I was like not trying to bring all of our bags in… I just grabbed pjs for C, B, and me (so I thought) and our toothbrushes… and of course some eyeliner for the morning ;)
We get in our room and I hop in the shower and when I get out, I realize I grabbed pjs for Bailey and Christian, but none for me.  So annoying but definitely not worth going back to the car in the rain.  So, I'm like, I will just sleep naked… but didn't want to hang out watching TV that way!  Bailey may never get over it ;0
I look for the robes but Starwood has gotten super lame about leaving them in the room because people steal them… duh, they are so comfy!  So, I had to call and request one - I am sure they were thinking I was super high maintenance… like, "Who does this lady think she is?  Hugh Hefner?"

So, there we are, 3 across in a king size bed - Christian is practically sleeping, Bailey is watching a movie, and there I am, with no clothes on… LOL!  Then my phone goes off - I look at it and it says that Louisville is in a tornado warning!  WTH!  I jump up, grab my freaking robe, and look outside.  Trees sideways people!  I yell for Christian - of course, he could care less… Then it hits me… I will be that lady… That lady who is found alive in the rubble after the tornado... naked!!!  Just my luck!

Well, the storm passed and we survived AND I avoided public humiliation.  Whew!

The next day we started our second leg.  Again, drove in the rain the entire time.  Ugh.  I swear, nature hates me.

We drive safe and the festivities begin.  My sister had everyone over for Bailey's birthday Monday night and made the same cake that my mom made for all of us on every birthday :)  Mmmmmmmm.

We did Christmas with my family on Christmas Eve and on Christmas morning we headed to Winston-Salem to have Christmas with Christian's family.  They are a lot of fun :)
While there, Christian's sister Kelin wanted to do a family photo outside… Of course NONE of the guys wanted to and they all drag out there.  Christian's brother Ryan even said, "I am just putting running shoes on so whatever you do, don't put my feet in the picture…" Well, Kelin got a great shot… feet and all!  We laughed about it for days!  Jeans and running shoes y'all!  Ewww.

Since we were so close to our old home of Atlanta we felt we had to make the trip and visit friends.  I miss them all so much.  I have made some good friends here in Iowa, but I am not going to lie… it has not been easy.  People here have lived here their ENTIRE lives and have had the same friends forever.  Trying to wedge yourself into that is hard, and of course some people aren't as forthcoming about wanting to let you in.  I will remember this when talking friendships with Bailey...

So, we were off to Atlanta for the grand finale of our trip.  I loved seeing everyone.  I spent Friday night alone with my dearest friend Megan and her 2 girls and new baby boy :)  We just sipped wine, watched real housewives, and laughed until we wheezed and our abs were sore.  It was just what I needed.
Then Saturday we headed downtown to stay with my other true blue friend Heather.  Her husband and Christian have been friends since 10th grade and we were both in their wedding.  We also managed to  squeeze in a play date with our old neighbors so the kids could all see each other.  That was really nice:)
We met up with my other bestie Ashleigh and the rest of the gang and went out Saturday night - it was a blast.  I swear, I love those girls!
We stayed out entirely too late but it was worth every minute!

Christian knew we would be dragging that Sunday so he had planned for us to only go 4 hours that day to Nashville for the night.  Good idea.  I was EXHAUSTED!  We ordered in Chinese and watched movies.

Monday, we headed home.

We had such a wonderful time seeing all of those who mean the most to us and it was truly the most wonderful time of the year!

xoxo

Katie

Posing?


Bailey came with me to get my Visa for China… she wanted to
take a picture too so I snapped this one… Hilarious!

This kid… 

Santa time!

Christmas Morning





Driving into Louisville

Never ending wrecks...
Good thing Christian bought me these for Christmas :)

Road trip!

Birthday Cake… aftermath

New sled!
My nieces and nephews… Bailey refused to take a picture...

B and my niece Edie



Christmas in Winston
Christian building the world's largest fort

Playing guitar with Christian's dad

With her cousins
Singing Happy Birthday to herself! 


The photo

Bailey and Uncle Ryan

Sleepover with Megan's girls

Me and Heather

Heather, Me, and Ashleigh :))))
xoxo

We are very close… oops.

Thanks boys for ruining a great pic...
We have issues...

Birthday Boy

Back to the hotel
End of a LONG trip :)