Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Things that I am living without...

Cable, a washer and dryer, a Keurig, and filtered water.  More on that in a minute, but first...

It is so CRAZY to say that we are finally back in Atlanta!  It was a little nuts at first, but now that we are settled in - I am so HAPPY!!!

The reverse culture shock was a little hard to overcome in the beginning but I feel that the key was to keep perspective.  I mean, if you are ever in Atlanta and need to go to a grocery store, hit up the Edgewood Kroger - never a dull moment.  Then there was the driving.... I had gotten so used to driving without hardly paying attention in Iowa and now, I am a MESS!  I forgot how crazy everyone drives and how aggressive you have to be.  At the same time, I used to know every backroad in this city and a lot of it has come back to me, but those first few days were a disaster!  Going "home" and then getting lost in your own city just don't go together.

Then there is Bailey.  She has no concept of reality.  She still thinks we are in Iowa and that she can roam around and do whatever!  I am like, "Bailey, we are in Atlanta now... you can't just walk off... there are bad guys here!"  LOL!  It is just so much harder to keep up with her in a big city.
Then there are all the different "people".  Bailey's eyes have been opened... lets just leave it at that.

Now, back to what I am living without.  We decided to rent a really cool loft to live in for the summer in the hopes that our house in Iowa would sell.   It is really awesome!  It has all the things that I wanted in a loft - I mean, I always wanted to live in a loft, but I never wanted to buy one.  I love the concrete floors, exposed duct work, garage doors to separate rooms.  So fun.  The girls that we are renting it from are actually Phd's at Emory.  One is a film student or something and has one of her films being shown in film festivals all over Europe this summer which is why there are gone.  They left it furnished and that has been interesting... they have a funky, eclectic style and I kind of dig it... but we have totally moved everything on a top shelf.  Bailey is in heaven!  So many knick knacks... she just walks over, "What is this?"  "Uh... that is a shark tooth, where did you get that?" Silly.
Sleeping with no real walls or doors is interesting, but Bailey is getting the hang of it :)
We love the place and the location is to die for but what they don't have is cable, a washer or dryer, a keurig or filtered water.

Cable.  They are like, "Oh... yeah, we just stream everything online..."  Oh, ok.  Well that is great if I want to watch episodes of Lost, but what if I want to watch the news?  And btw it is not as easy as it seems.  If I do want to watch something, I have to plug my computer to the TV which is a process all its own.  Then, there is Bailey.  She does not understand what the problem is.  No more movies on demand or a DVR loaded up with Disney flicks.  I mean, I think it is admirable to say, "We are getting rid of cable" but it is not realistic, at least not for this brood.

Then, I somehow missed in the description that they don't have a washer and dryer.  I guess I just assumed that at this day in age, everyone did!  Well, I can tell you one thing, the days of me sitting in a laundromat popping quarters in a dryer that never really get my clothes dry are over.  But, what I did find is an awesome spot right near our house.  This chick opened a "new age" laundromat called Blusion.  She has all modern, efficient machines.  Only takes debit/credit and it is a flat rate to wash and dry... I think like $4!!!!  But the best part is for a $1 a pound, she will wash, dry and fold your stuff for you and it is same day service people!!  I am spoiled now.  I seriously may sell my washer and dryer and only do that.

Coffee.  It is bad enough that I don't have BBC to watch in the morning, but coffee??? I didn't know that you could be a professor and not drink coffee... If I would have known, I would have packed my Keurig.  We are right in Inman Park and there is a great coffee shop there but $3.50 a day will start adding up - especially since I send out the laundry now ;0  So in the meantime, I hit up Target and bought this little $14 number.  It will have to do for now.


Filtered water.  I didn't even realize how much I drank it until I didn't have it.  They have an ice maker and water dispenser but it is not connected... womp womp.  So we are back to buying cases of bottled water.  So wasteful I know, but I make up for it because I drive a Hybrid - lol.

I feel like I have adapted well.  I mean, I am still living first world - just a different level.  (totally kidding here)

Otto is also adjusting well.  The loft has a really nice green area for dogs that he loves. (isn't it sad that he gets only one line?)

We had a mellow mothers day since it came just after our 9 hour drive.  I did get to hit up my favorite spa with my BFF Megan and we had brunch at an awesome spot that morning.

xoxo

at brunch... her eyes are like totally glazed over...









No comments:

Post a Comment