Monday, May 19, 2014

{ Brassy to Classy }

For the last year or so I have been fighting a major battle... the brassy battle.  Brassy is the gnarly color that your blonde turns because your natural color is dark.  I don't know if it is a difference in technique or preference or simply a lack of experience, but I couldn't find anyone who could get my hair the color I wanted it.  I had strayed away from some of my favorite stylists in Atlanta because they were on the opposite side of town and then while in Iowa,  I was at a total loss. Until...

Last Christmas I went home to Charlotte and had an old friend from high school look at it.  I had a serious problem.  Her solution was not to "lift" my base.  The problem was that these stylists were trying to lift my natural dark brown to a lighter brown and then foil on that.  The result = orange tiger hair.  Eww.

So, she went with heavy foils of blonde and voila!  I was platinum again.  The science of coloring hair is actually very technical... like greys, there are hundreds of shades of blondes some more "ashy" which is platinum and some more "golden" which has a more yellow look.  The color blonde that you choose depends most on your skin color and your preference.

Once back in Iowa I started having one of my BFF's do my color based on my other friends formula - and after a few tweaks, we got it!  I walked out and looked like a blonde bombshell!  Then my next problem... after a few weeks, my hair would start returning to a warmer color, moving away from the ashe.  Her solution was to use "purple" shampoo.  Now, I had used it in the past, but never felt that it did anything.  I gave it another try and the results have been amaze.

My final issue was that in order to get to this shade of blonde, I have to use, ahem... bleach.
That can do a number on your hair over time.  So, she put me on a regimen of products that help flight those broken ends, fly aways, and overall "fried" appearance.

After nearly a year of going through hair rehab, I am finally blonde and moisturized!  LOL!  It was a process and I really want to thank all of my friends and family for being so supportive through this stressful time and of course my loving husband for funding multiple hair appointments and loving me through all of my different shades.  Queue the music...

Ok, seriously, I am obsessed with my new regimen and felt that I had to share it!  I wish you only the blondest of days :)

xoxo
Purple Shampoo and Conditioner
Shampoo is by Schwarzkopf and the Conditioner is by AG
LOVE this stuff!  I use it once to twice a week.

This is an everyday shampoo and conditioner.
I am OBSESSED with Pureology Hydrate.  It smells delicious!
It is formulated specifically for color treated herrrrr.
These are two of my newest faves.  It's a 10 is the brand
The yellow is a leave in spray/moisturizer for after you wash your hair -
it gets it super shiny when you dry it.  I use it every time I blow dry.  This brand claims that
it does 10 Things to instantly improve you hair and I agree!
The other is a deep conditioning treatment that I do in the shower.  It too claims
to have 10 amazing benefits.
After I wash, I use this and let it sit for about 15 minutes before rinsing it out.  I use this about once a week.
This is my newest purchase.  Also by Pureology.  It too is a leave-in spray.
It claims to have 21 essential benefits, but whose counting!  I LOVE this stuff!
I go back and forth between in and the It's a 10 spray :)
Too brassy... very "orange"
eww.
Tiger hair
Am I a redhead?
After Charlotte!  Finally blonde!!!  Cheers to that!
Michelle on the left started working on my hair in Iowa :)



The way I like it!! This was blown out after using the
purple shampoo and conditioner... it totally brightens it!








No comments:

Post a Comment