Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day = Happiness... Right?

For three years I have be waiting to celebrate this day.  I always pictured myself having breakfast in bed, going to Mass, brunch, and a day of pampering.  Well, like all things in life, it didn't quite happen that way.
With Christian in Greece on business and me alone with Bailey for the first time, it was already a little off. Mother's day has also been tough the last couple years because of the loss of my mom.  I hate to harp on that topic too much, but my mom died April 28th of 2009.  The first weekend following her death, we as a family sat around looking at each other asking ourselves if this was a joke.  Losing our mother and then going directly into mother's day!  Then, the next year, we all mourned at the one year anniversary of her death which again, was followed by mother's day.  This year, my FIRST year actually being honored as a mother, I again mourned my loss.  When my mom was sick, Christian and I were killing ourselves emotionally trying to get pregnant.  I just wanted her to see me pregnant before she died - and God willing, her see grandchild number 13.  It didn't happen, and today I still get sad thinking of how much she would love to see and hold Ms. Bailey.  I know she would be so proud of us.  Sitting in mass hearing the priest honor mothers here and those who are no longer with us really pulled at my heart.  I miss her, and I feel her presence everyday.  Sometimes, she pops up and does something that really throws me off... One song that my dad always played in honor of my mom is John Denver's - Annie's Song.  While driving to mass with Bailey and no Christian, I was flipping through stations, and I heard it.  I just knew it was her.  I cried in the car, and I cried in mass - but like I have always believed, a good cry is like a cleanse.  I felt renewed and ready!  This day was about me, and I was going to celebrate it!
Enough of the sadness of mother's day - now onto the fun!  As I get older, I see God continually surrounding me with more and more wonderful friends... and they ALL came through Sunday!
Heather, a truly awesome friend, came to mass with me and her and her husband prepared a marvelous mother's day brunch for me complete with my favorite - mimosas.  They showered me with roses and warm thoughts.  From there, I headed home where another amazing friend, Ashleigh, was waiting to watch over Bailey while I enjoyed my afternoon spa treatment thanks to my love, Christian.  While all this is going on, I was overwhelmed with the outpouring of love I received via phone calls and texts from so many other great friends.  It really warmed my heart.  They know how badly I have wanted this day, and they also know how difficult it can sometimes be this time of year.  I am truly blessed.
As for the title of this post, Mother's Day DOES equal happiness.  Happiness can be found not only in those things lost, but in those found and those received.  After all, I did get my church, my brunch, and my afternoon at the spa - but even more, I got my blessing, my bliss, and my Bailey.

Mom on her last family lake trip

My Mom in front of her favorite chicken spot!

My grandmother - 99 years old

Church with Bailey - she LOVED that flower...

Clearly, since she is eating it!

Trying to get her to look at the camera...

What is that over there?

Heather and I 

You can't let a thumb ruin a good picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment