Monday, September 30, 2013

The End of Summer

We really ended our summer with a bang this year and it was AWESOME!

First off, my bestie Megan had her third baby and first boy on the 9th - his name is Manning and he is so freaking cute!  In other news, we watched a groundhog walk out of the woods and strait under our deck!  Christian set up a trap, but we didn't catch the groundhog, we caught a possum!  Ewww!  Back to the drawing boards... But seriously, I hate wild animals... except deer and turkeys :)

Our big trip for this month was going back to the beaches of NC.  We hooked up with a some good friends from college who still live in Wilmington and decided to rent a house on Topsail Island for a week.  Prior to booking our flights, we realized that the Atlanta Braves were going to be playing in Chicago the Friday before we left... so, we decided to extend our vacation to include a little MLB.  We had not seen a game in real life all year so this was really our only chance.

Friday, we drove to Chicago in time to leave Bailey with my friend Logan an head to Wrigleyville for a 1:20 game.  It was so FUN!  We got great seats, the weather was cool, and the Braves won!  That was also the weekend that we clinched the division, so that was a little extra something to be a part of :)

After the game we met up with Pat and headed back to his and Logan's place.  As usual, the night was nothing short of hysterical...  Pat and Christian found a couch sitting by the dumpster in their building and spent most of the night out there...  I know, it makes no sense...  Boys are strange.  Meanwhile, Logan and I sat upstairs and enjoyed some champagne and mussels... mmmmm.  I am really loving hanging out with Logan - I love having her nearby :)

Saturday we woke up and headed to the airport to fly to Wilmington.  It was a long day... we connected in Atlanta, then flew to NC, then had to drive an hour to Topsail.

Of course, flying with a 2 year old is always eventful... Bailey is a good little jet setter but nonetheless, I always have a good story.  This time, we were about to land in Wilmington when she tells me she has to go Poo Poo.  I am thinking, how can you poop at this altitude????  Anyhow, we headed to the lavatory... Now, Bailey is EXTREMELY independent and when she potties she has to have the door shut and be alone.  So, it is no exception on a plane... she made me stand outside the door while she took a 20 minute poop.  People kept coming to the door and I had to keep telling them my 2 year old was in there... No one could believe that she was all by herself... they all were shocked at her "independence".  Then we start our descent.  The flight attendant is like, "Ma'am, we are about to land, you need to return to your seat."  I didn't know what to do... Bailey is mid-poop and I didn't want to tell him that!  So, I just kept saying "ok, were almost done".
Then the turbulence... I mean, we are bouncing around like chitty-chitty bang-bang!  I am standing in the front of the plane with 200 people looking a me flopping around while my 2 year old is somehow maintaining composure on the toilet!  I peek in and she is like holding to the wall for dear life, still pooping, and I just start laughing hysterically!  Then B laughs and we are almost crying!  I have not laughed that hard in a long time!  The kind of laugh where you cry... Watching her bouncing around on the toilet and me flying back in forth trying to hold on to the walls while she is pooping at 20000 feet was too much!  I almost peed my pants...
Finally, she "finished" and when I opened the door, I was mortified.  She stunk up the entire plane! LOL!  Well, when you gotta go, you gotta go!
We got in around 9pm that night and were exhausted - BUT, there is no rest for the weary when all your friends are waiting!!!  We stayed up half the night!  Bailey of course went strait to bed :)

Fox and Kris live in Wilmington and really put together the entire trip - my bestie Heather came with her new baby girl, Hannah :)  She is presh...  It was the first time I got to meet her in person!  I love her.  We had other visitors throughout the week, many of whom we knew from college.  It was quite the reunion...

We basically spent all day everyday on the beach - Bailey is a good little beach bum - she stayed on the beach all day from 10-4 and practically entertained herself the entire time!  She loved the waves and watching Christian fish.  Heather and I managed to squeeze in a single run one morning and one night we dipped out in her pimped out rental mini-van and went to the pier for cocktails... It was really nice :)

The trip ended and we had to make the long trip home which meant connecting in Atlanta, flying back to Chicago and driving back to CR.  We planned on doing it all in one day but about half way from Chicago we decided to forget it.  We pulled over and got a room at a Holiday Inn Express... if you know me, you know this was hard.  I am a bit of a hotel snob... unfortunately, there were no Westin's in northern Illinois... Needless to say, room service was not an option but they did have some tasty cinnamon rolls for breakfast :)

The next morning we woke and returned home - our trip was over :(
We had so much fun and are so fortunate to have such AWESOME friends!   I really don't know what this life would be like without them :)

It is cooling down here in Iowa and we are beginning our preparations for a harsh winter but looking forward to cozy fires, red wine, and lots of family time :)

xoxo
Swag
Enjoying some great fall weather
I don't miss a thing!
Night out with my girl Molly
We did a cocktail flight... it was a major commitment
If you haven't had this, go get it now.  It is AWESOME!
Biggest lobster I have see outside of Discovery Channel...
$144 dollars... any takers?
Bailey wants her back scratched all the time...
then she passes out
ewww
The morning turkey parade across the driveway


My love of a lifetime :)

While at the game, Logan baked cookies with Bailey :)
At Pat and Logan's - I LOVE their view!
Royal sunset

Christian and Pat's dumpster couch...
Day 1!
Sandy bottom


These are her favorite glasses...
Practicing my inversions on the beach...
My yoga instructor would be proud
Christian and Sheets fishing at the house
B watching Christian fish
Her favorite part 


Dada got a fish!!!

Bailey and Fox
Headed out in Heaher's PIMPED out mini van...
Cocktails with Hizzle
Heather and Hannah
Time to go home... holding Hannah one last time :(
This pigeon came every night to our house -  it had a tag on it's
leg and we believe that it is a racing pigeon... pretty creepy.
I still say that is was a drone and that the government is using it to spy on us...